Is your child going on the residential barge trip?
This may be the first time your child has stayed away from home which is a big step.
Here are some tips for dealing with homesickness:
- Talk to your child to find out if they have any concerns about going away.
- Listen to all your child’s fears however trivial they may seem; often small worries can seem enormous to children.
- Reassure your child that the staff members they will be travelling with will keep them safe at all times.
- Give your child a small keepsake, a piece of your clothing, a toy or teddy that will remind them of home. This can be their connection back to you.
- Remind your child that you will still be there when they return and that you will be very excited to hear how the trip went.
Remember to have fun!