At Avenue Primary School we believe that good school attendance gives children the opportunity of success and helps develop skills for life. We believe it is vital that all children attend school every day unless there is an unavoidable cause like illness. Every child should end the year with attendance above 97%.
Avenue Primary school follows Newham's Attendance policy and this can be found on the Policy section of our website.
We reward attendance every week. On a Monday in assembly a 'Best Attendance' trophy is given out to the class who achieved the highest attendance percentage the previous week. There is one trophy for Reception, one for Key Stage 1, one for Lower Key Stage 2 and one for Upper Key Stage 2. We also give termly attendance certificates for those with 100% attendance.
97% is the overall School Attendance Target for this year
DID YOU KNOW THAT IF YOUR CHILD MISSES SCHOOL ON A REGULAR BASIS IT MAY:
- Seriously hinder your child’s learning and their ability to do well and achieve their potential
- Affect their confidence to attempt new learning and their ability to work and learn alongside others in general and as a result develop reluctance or indeed refuse to attend school
- Disrupt your child’s routines and make them feel vulnerable on their return to school
- Cause disruption to teaching routines (if teachers need to revisit previous learning) and as a result affect the learning of other children in your child’s class
- Affect their ability to make and sustain friendship groups. Children who are regularly absent from school often feel excluded from play-time games and activities and feel they have little in common with their peers
- Lead to your child becoming disillusioned with school and education school as they get older
- Lead to you, as the parent / carer, being called in to school to discuss the situation as well as face legal and financial consequences. Please remember that you have a legal duty to ensure your child attends school on a regular basis
If you are experiencing difficulty in getting your child to school on a daily basis it is important that you tell us. Come to the school office and ask for the Attendance Officer or the Home-School Support Worker. We will always try to help.